Industrial Thermal Insulation Technician
As an Industrial Thermal Insulation Technician, you’ll create bespoke patterns using technical drawing equipment to fabricate specialist cladding materials, which are applied on top of specialist insulation systems to complex pipework, ductwork and vessels.
The cladding material is required to protect the equipment from environmental damage and for personnel protection from very hot or very cold surface temperatures, while maintaining the equipment within the plant.
Thermal Insulation Technicians may work on a diverse range of sites including:
- Power Generation, Nuclear, Oil and Gas sites
- Petrochemical and Process Plants including Food, Brewing and Dairy
Working wherever pipework and services are located i.e. inside the plant or outside on the wider site.
You’ll may also develop the ability to work in a supervisory capacity, mentoring and advising other operatives and assisting with the management of projects.
Top 5 Tasks
- Create bespoke patterns using technical drawing equipment to fabricate specialist cladding materials
- Ensure the appropriate standard and quality of work is maintained
- Procure appropriate resources
- Install and apply appropriate insulation and cladding materials
- Consult with clients.
An Industrial Thermal Insulation Technician starting out can earn around £20,000 with those more experienced and in senior roles earning up to £40,000.
Salaries depend on location, employer and level of responsibility.
Am I Suited?
Depends on the employer, but likely GCSEs or equivalent qualifications or experience, particularly where practical or technical skills are demonstrated will be needed to gain entry.
You will also need relevant safety qualifications before you start working as an Industrial Thermal Insulation Technician.