Hire Controller (Plant, Tools and Equipment)
You’re in charge of renting out plant machinery, tools and equipment to commercial customers, such as construction companies, and the general public.
You’ll be arranging the hire of specialist machinery on short or long-term loan to carry out specific tasks across the construction and other sectors, including mechanical, electrical, facilities management and civil engineering.
As the Hire Controller, you’ll be the key point of contact for customers advising them on the right plant, tools or equipment for a job and how to use it.
From cranes to diggers, you’ll need in-depth technical product knowledge in terms of operation of the equipment, health, safety and environmental considerations, and you’ll need to understand the specific requirements of the sectors in which your customers operate.
You’re also responsible for ensuring stock is maintained to the required standard, thus ensuring that all legal, health, safety and environmental requirements are met.
Top 5 Tasks
- Advise customers on the appropriate machinery and equipment
- Have an in-depth knowledge of plant machinery and equipment and how to use it
- Ensure machinery, tools and equipment are maintained and compliant with health and safety requirements
- Complete contract documentation including all legal and health and safety documentation
- Main point of customer contact.
The average salary for a Plant Hire Controller is around £30,000.
Salaries typically depend on location, employer and level of responsibility.
Am I Suited?
- Excellent communicator
- Good with computers
- Good with numbers
There are no set entry requirements, but it may be beneficial to have some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent.