Chartered Building Services Design Engineer

Design and install all the elements of a building which bring it to life.


As a Chartered Building Services Design Engineer you will lead a team of engineers and technicians and will collaborate with other construction professionals to design the various services found in buildings and infrastructure projects. 

Your work may involve renewable and emerging technologies, energy management, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, drainage, lighting, power, water services, life-safety systems – the list goes on! 

Buildings and infrastructure take on many forms from newly built facilities to the refurbishment of premises for every sector of industry. 

You will undertake the technical and commercial management of projects which provide engineering design solutions to maintain and enhance the quality of the environment and community. 

You will also have chartered status.

Top 5 Tasks

  1. Plan, design, monitor and inspect systems 
  2. Advise clients and architects on matters relating to building services
  3. Design systems with the aid of computer-aided design software
  4. Commission, organise and assess the work of contractors
  5. Make important equipment decisions.


Newly trained Building Services Engineers can earn in the region of £24,000 – £27,000 and those trained with experience earn in the region of £27,000 – £35,000.

Senior, chartered or master Building Services Engineers can earn in the region of £35,000 – £50,000.

Salaries depend on location, employer and level of responsibility.

Am I Suited?

  • Excellent communicator
  • Confident
  • Self-motivator
  • Leader
  • Flexible
Many Construction Managers and other construction professionals started their careers as apprentices.


A relevant three-year honours degree in one of the following is common:

  • Building services engineering
  • Building environment engineering
  • Electrical or electronic engineering
  • Mechanical engineering
  • Physics and applied physics
  • Maths

To get on to a degree course you usually need at least two A-levels or Highers, preferably in maths and science subjects. Other relevant qualifications may be accepted, either on their own or in combination with A-levels. These include AS levels or a foundation degree.

You can then apply for chartered status to the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) or another construction engineering institution licensed by the Engineering Council.

Vacancies / Apprenticeships

Close Menu